Stephen has facilitated 100+ Action Learning Sets over 20 years in organisations as varied as: LB Hackney, LB Newham; Nuffield Hospitals; Benefits Agency; Deloitte; Barclays, Barclaycard.
And with Action Learning Associates: Ernst & Young; Chartered Insurance Institute; Nissan UK; Oxford University Press and Lankelly Chase Foundation
CGI (formerly Logica)
CGI (formerly Logica)
The SAP-enabled Water Company Operating Model. With artist Mark Morgan, in 2006 Stephen worked with the Logica Utilities Sector Leadership Team to create a ‘Rich Picture’ of the future water industry operating model – which was used with prospective clients to engage in future scenario conversations.
Medical Research Council
Medical Research Council
Role: change manager for successful SAP HR implementation across 30 sites, shared services centre and 4000 staff
Achievement: using a high participation planning approach, all regions owned and implemented a 100 day transition-into-operations framework which rapidly delivered system, operational and organisationally effective HR performance across sites and shared services.
Role: Stephen led a joint Logica-LloydsTSB team to deliver a time-boxed study into a Target Operating Model, Business Case and Change programme design for Business Banking transformation
Achievement: Delivered on time in 4 months, with high stakeholder engagement and executive commitment which led directly to a £100+m investment and provided the basis for the transformation programme (and template for other major programmes)
Zoetis – Key role in designing community building events for vision, strategy implementation and change pre $2b IPO; designed and authored innovative, highly interactive iBook capturing the story and outputs from key strategic event
SE London Commissioning 5yr Strategy Programme
Role: supporting Clinical Leadership Groups (CLGs) through design, facilitation and writing up workshops, working closely supporting CLG Planning teams (CCG Chief Officers, Commissioning Directors, senior GPs and senior Trust Clinicians); member of programme team supporting development of strategy across 6 CCGs/Boroughs
Key achievement: for Urgent and Emergency Care CLG and Children and Young People CLG developing outputs into service models which form the basis for those strategies going forward
- May 2020
I have just completed a piece of work for Blackpool Opportunity Area through RedQuadrant, working in one of the most deprived wards in England. We managed to shift a planned one day workshop into two shorter ‘online in person’ workshops developing a vision and defining collaborative projects to move the area towards a more preventative approach to children’s development and improving outcomes.
I have also been demonstrating to 2 groups of consultants, how to facilitate online in person ‘virtual’ action learning sets by running 4 of these sessions with each group.
I am now offering specific ‘ONLINE IN PERSON’ consulting interventions:
Summary of specific offers client ready:
Interventions ‘On line In Person’ (aka ‘remote’ delivery using zoom or your own platform). All of these are designed to improve well-being and team work of staff and organisation partners
- Role consultation: a robust development model focusing on: understanding ‘self’ and one’s authority in role; how role requirements are changing (systems thinking approach); how to adapt and align self-awareness with changing role requirements
Group interventions that combine support, learning and action
- (Virtual) ‘Action Learning Online In Person’
- Collaborative project working
- Weekly Group focusing on learning: what went well/What we could have done better/Insights and ‘Aha’s/actions we will take as a result of the learning (strengths based learning)
- Appreciative Inquiry into creating a positive organisation at a time of uncertainty and change
- Transition workshops exploring transitionining into new ways of working (Bridges’ Model)
- Accountabilities – Decision Rights review (RACI review around decision points in key areas of risk)
Blackpool Opportunity Area: developing vision and collaborative projects though ‘Online In Person’ workshops with local authority, police, education and community sector partners.
I have been taking a lead on a Senior Leadership Team Development with Somerset CC (through RedQuadrant). We have gone through a design phase and we have had a first development day with that team on which I worked with Meg Peppin. The covid emergency has of course put this on hold.
Also on hold is work I started with the British Council with Jim McLaughlin at Meeting Facilitators; strategy work on technology and customer journeys.
Just prior to the lock down, I completed a small strategy session with the leadership team of Spark Inside – a charity providing coaching and development to young men in prisons. This was through Meeting Facilitators.
In February, I completed leading the East Midlands Transformation Academy – a 5 day development programme with some 30 people from 6 local authorities in the region. What we introduced to this programme was group consultancy calls I facilitated between the main development days which focused on the 100 day challenge projects they were working on as part of the programme.
I have had a peer-reviewed paper published in January:‘Exploring the challenges of system leadership in the voluntary and community sector’ Stephen Moss 2020Published in Action Learning: Research and Practice, Volume 17 Issue 1 Free access for first 50. Download here.For Reveal Productions I produced a new run of nine performances of Pattern Up promoting Haringey Communities Agains Violence. See here
The run included performing Pattern Up at two schools. At Ark Academy, Joanna and I led a two hour workshop after the play, with 50 students, exploring the themes of the play; re-enacting two key scenes to stimulate the discussion in small groups of 10 young people each led by one of the actors.
I just supported and facilitated an event for 70 people through the Human Rights Foundation’s Oslo Freedom Forum. This was an amazing experience and privilege to work with pro-democracy activists. This was through Meeting Facilitators.
Between July and October, I led a review of support services to children’s homes run by Nottinghamshire CC (through RedQuadrant). I am also leading a new Public Service Transformation Academy programme for a number of local authorities in the East Midlands.
I have been leading the design phase of a leadership development programme with the Senior Leadership Team of a County Council. This will go into delivery early next year (through RedQuadrant)
Somerset Academy 3 completed and Academy 4 is being redesigned jointly with Somerset NHS, Somerset County Council and SW Academic Health Science Network to focus more on supporting the projects, less on development days and delivery in line with the local Sustainability and Transformation Partnership plan for Somerset. With support at different levels in the system the aim is to work towards greater integration between health and social care. A case study of this Commissioning Academy intervention can be found in the latest Public Service Transformation Academy (PSTA) Case Studies and annual report: Public service: state of transformation Think pieces and case studies 2019 here pp 55-61.
I also worked with a number of directors and strategic managers from Somerset County and Somerset CCG facilitating 5 half day meetings focusing on what is needed to deliver more joint commissioning.
Working with 40 leaders from Cambridgeshire County and Peterborough City Councils, who are working together on a number of policy and operational areas, has involved a combination of system leadership events co-delivered with RedQuadrant colleagues, and facilitating two action learning sets with up to 12 of the 40. Once again action learning as a method proved its value as a way of supporting and developing experienced leaders having to work with complexity and financial and political uncertainty.
During this period, I have led a Transformation Academy in the East of England for PSTA/RedQuadrant.
As an associate with Meeting Facilitators I designed and delivered strategy a vision event for a regional division of Allianz insurance. Most recently I delivered a workshop with Urgent Health UK, a group of urgent care providers, on building resilience into their sector.
Somewhere between consulting and social theatre: Joanna Procter, Sola Adebiyi and myself, through Reveal Productions and RedQuadrant, delivered a session at the Public Service Transformation Academy PSTA Conference 2019 in June. This was an ‘embodied systems’ session using “Theatre of the Oppressed” methods to:
- Provide the conference with something different, unexpected, that might change your thinking, that might inspire you to try something different yourselves in working with complex systems of relationships …
- Demonstrate the voice of the user / the outsider – which is unlikely to be well represented at the conference
The session was only 40 minutes long, so was obviously just a taster. This approach could be incorporated into a deeper exploration of how local health and care systems work. It was very well received by the 30+ delegates from the conference who participated.
Social theatre took a step into the world of wildlife conservation in recent months. Joanna directed the latest Summer Charabanc, theatre on the back of a 1920s Millers Cart drawn by 2 Suffolk Shire horses, as it followed a route around Westhay Nature Reserve in Somerset. This was another Wassail production, funded by Arts Council England and Somerset Wildlife Trust. The site provided the backdrop for a story about the effects of climate change, and the habits of rare bird egg thieves. The 20+ performances goy great reviews, and audiences got quite involved at times in the action themselves!
First on the consulting front (Stephen), this has been a busy period.
Somerset Commissioning Academy 2 has been completed and projects started on that programme have progressed over the 100 days since the final day. Somerset Academy 3 is underway, with 5 new projects starting up.
Also through RedQuadrant, I am working with Devon CC and also Cambridgeshire/Peterborough designing and delivering system leadership development events.
Standard Bank Investment Banking International (IBI) – I have been working with IBI devising and supporting five 90-day ‘sprint’ projects groups focusing on revenue growth and client-centricity. These were set up in a session I facilitated at an event for senior managers across IBI and other parts of the bank. This work has been through Meeting Facilitators
Institute and Faculty of Actuaries – I designed and delivered two strategy day events for the Markets Development Board and then full Council, looking at the future of the profession and role of the IFoA. (also through Meeting Facilitators).
- New clients in 2017 include: 3 Step IT, Police Federation
- Stephen just completed work with Glasgow City Council, building on last year’s work in Education (Primary sector Language and Communication Resource) using a coproduction approach to implementing the Inclusion Strategy for children and young people with Additional Learning Support needs in the secondary sector. This work was delivered through MAC-UK.
- Most recently (2017), through RedQuadrant and the Public Services Transformation Academy, Stephen has led a Commissioning Academy programme for Somerset (on the theme of health and social care integration), 2016-17 Skills Funding Agency (devolution of Adult Education Budgets to 7 Combined Authorities, Cornwall and the Greater London Assembly) and 2016 Cornwall (Local Authority, NHS, DWP, Police)
- NHS – NHS SE London Commissioning – Greenwich, Lewisham, Bexley, Bromley, Southwark and Lambeth CCGs Strategy Commissioning Programme; A number of Trusts including Epsom, CNWL; NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT); NHS Executive
- Some 20+ local authorities, inc LBs Barnet, Brent, Croydon, Hounslow, Hammersmith&Fulham, Havering, Hackney, Hillingdon, Newham, Southwark, Westminster, Lancashire CC, Hampshire CC, Kent CC, Aberdeen Council Burnley BC and several districts; London Boroughs Grants Committee, Local Government Management Board (International)
- Inland Revenue, Dept Trade & Industry, DSS/DWP/Benefits Agency, Ofgem, Ofsted, Healthcare Commission (now CQC), Welsh Assembly, London Business Links
- Medical Research Council, Nuffield Hospitals
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Railtrack, West Coast Modernisation Programme
- LloydsTSB, Lloyds Banking Group, HSBC, Barclays, Deutsche Bank, Credit Suisse Asset Management
- BUPA, Aon, Prudential, Aviva, Baloise
- Logica (internally whilst employed as client-facing consultant)
- MicroSoft, Cadbury Schweppes, Premier Farnell, Zimmer Inc, Pfizer Animal Health (Zoetis), Kentz Engineering plc, BT, Brett Aggregates, SRH Systems, Rolls-Royce, Canon Europe, Sky TV, SIG Combibloc
- Recent Action Learning: Lankelly Chase Foundation (for leaders of funded programmes), Ernst&Young, Nissan, Oxford University Press, Chartered Insurance Institute, Barclays
- Immediate Theatre as consultant (now trustee), Kids Company
Financial Services experience
- Led organisation/people design workstream for major regulatory change (Solvency 2) programme for Lloyds Banking Group Insurance Division
- Working with Global COO and MarComms Director of Deutsche Bank Corporate Investment Banking, worked with senior leaders across the business units to implement a new structure for the global Marketing and Communications function – through a stakeholder engagement process, he designed and delivered an implementation workshop which created high levels of commitment. He also developed a communication strategy for the Division
- Worked with Group Finance Director (FD) and his senior global FDs team, to define a global Finance vision, decision rights framework and transformation roadmap (BUPA)
- Led a joint consultant-client team for Lloyds TSB Business Banking Division, successfully engaging senior stakeholders, to define a target operating model, build a compelling business case and design a change plan to migrate onto the Retail operating and technology platform
- Worked with the UK Board of Aon insurance brokers to articulate strategy using a Rich Picture approach, coaching its members to communicate it to its extended leadership and then working with the business leadership teams to communicate the strategy to their respective teams. He worked on a range of top structure, planning and employee engagement projects, for example with the ReInsurance leadership team on re-design of the leadership structure, developing a 5 yr operating plan and engagement sessions to communicate the structure and plan. He worked with Aon Global Audit team to develop its strategy and plan through an interactive 3 day workshop and followed this with workshops on process improvement for Audit Europe.
- Designed and led leadership and strategy sessions for Barclays Group IT using a Rich Picture approach; facilitated IT security strategy workshop; action learning set facilitator and tutor on Barclays GRB leadership programme
- Worked with the UK Board of Prudential Financial Services to define and articulate its strategy and brand proposition through developing and running strategy and change conferences for its top 80 leaders to successfully build an integrated approach to change
- Developed a Rich Picture of the HSBC Private Banking brand and business strategy to guide a workshop for the Private Bank’s HR Team strategy day