Stephen has facilitated 100+ Action Learning Sets over 20 years in organisations as varied as: LB Hackney, LB Newham; Nuffield Hospitals; Benefits Agency; Deloitte; Barclays, Barclaycard.
And with Action Learning Associates: Ernst & Young; Chartered Insurance Institute; Nissan UK; Oxford University Press and Lankelly Chase Foundation
CGI (formerly Logica)
The SAP-enabled Water Company Operating Model. With artist Mark Morgan, in 2006 Stephen worked with the Logica Utilities Sector Leadership Team to create a ‘Rich Picture’ of the future water industry operating model – which was used with prospective clients to engage in future scenario conversations.
Medical Research Council
Role: change manager for successful SAP HR implementation across 30 sites, shared services centre and 4000 staff
Achievement: using a high participation planning approach, all regions owned and implemented a 100 day transition-into-operations framework which rapidly delivered system, operational and organisationally effective HR performance across sites and shared services.
Role: Stephen led a joint Logica-LloydsTSB team to deliver a time-boxed study into a Target Operating Model, Business Case and Change programme design for Business Banking transformation
Achievement: Delivered on time in 4 months, with high stakeholder engagement and executive commitment which led directly to a £100+m investment and provided the basis for the transformation programme (and template for other major programmes)
Zoetis – Key role in designing community building events for vision, strategy implementation and change pre $2b IPO; designed and authored innovative, highly interactive iBook capturing the story and outputs from key strategic event
SE London Commissioning 5yr Strategy Programme
Role: supporting Clinical Leadership Groups (CLGs) through design, facilitation and writing up workshops, working closely supporting CLG Planning teams (CCG Chief Officers, Commissioning Directors, senior GPs and senior Trust Clinicians); member of programme team supporting development of strategy across 6 CCGs/Boroughs
Key achievement: for Urgent and Emergency Care CLG and Children and Young People CLG developing outputs into service models which form the basis for those strategies going forward
- New clients in 2017 include: 3 Step IT, Police Federation
- Stephen just completed work with Glasgow City Council, building on last year’s work in Education (Primary sector Language and Communication Resource) using a coproduction approach to implementing the Inclusion Strategy for children and young people with Additional Learning Support needs in the secondary sector. This work was delivered through MAC-UK.
- Most recently (2017), through RedQuadrant and the Public Services Transformation Academy, Stephen has led a Commissioning Academy programme for Somerset (on the theme of health and social care integration), 2016-17 Skills Funding Agency (devolution of Adult Education Budgets to 7 Combined Authorities, Cornwall and the Greater London Assembly) and 2016 Cornwall (Local Authority, NHS, DWP, Police)
- NHS – NHS SE London Commissioning – Greenwich, Lewisham, Bexley, Bromley, Southwark and Lambeth CCGs Strategy Commissioning Programme; A number of Trusts including Epsom, CNWL; NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT); NHS Executive
- Some 20+ local authorities, inc LBs Barnet, Brent, Croydon, Hounslow, Hammersmith&Fulham, Havering, Hackney, Hillingdon, Newham, Southwark, Westminster, Lancashire CC, Hampshire CC, Kent CC, Aberdeen Council Burnley BC and several districts; London Boroughs Grants Committee, Local Government Management Board (International)
- Inland Revenue, Dept Trade & Industry, DSS/DWP/Benefits Agency, Ofgem, Ofsted, Healthcare Commission (now CQC), Welsh Assembly, London Business Links
- Medical Research Council, Nuffield Hospitals
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Railtrack, West Coast Modernisation Programme
- LloydsTSB, Lloyds Banking Group, HSBC, Barclays, Deutsche Bank, Credit Suisse Asset Management
- BUPA, Aon, Prudential, Aviva, Baloise
- Logica (internally whilst employed as client-facing consultant)
- MicroSoft, Cadbury Schweppes, Premier Farnell, Zimmer Inc, Pfizer Animal Health (Zoetis), Kentz Engineering plc, BT, Brett Aggregates, SRH Systems, Rolls-Royce, Canon Europe, Sky TV, SIG Combibloc
- Recent Action Learning: Lankelly Chase Foundation (for leaders of funded programmes), Ernst&Young, Nissan, Oxford University Press, Chartered Insurance Institute, Barclays
- Immediate Theatre as consultant (now trustee), Kids Company
Financial Services experience
- Led organisation/people design workstream for major regulatory change (Solvency 2) programme for Lloyds Banking Group Insurance Division
- Working with Global COO and MarComms Director of Deutsche Bank Corporate Investment Banking, worked with senior leaders across the business units to implement a new structure for the global Marketing and Communications function – through a stakeholder engagement process, he designed and delivered an implementation workshop which created high levels of commitment. He also developed a communication strategy for the Division
- Worked with Group Finance Director (FD) and his senior global FDs team, to define a global Finance vision, decision rights framework and transformation roadmap (BUPA)
- Led a joint consultant-client team for Lloyds TSB Business Banking Division, successfully engaging senior stakeholders, to define a target operating model, build a compelling business case and design a change plan to migrate onto the Retail operating and technology platform
- Worked with the UK Board of Aon insurance brokers to articulate strategy using a Rich Picture approach, coaching its members to communicate it to its extended leadership and then working with the business leadership teams to communicate the strategy to their respective teams. He worked on a range of top structure, planning and employee engagement projects, for example with the ReInsurance leadership team on re-design of the leadership structure, developing a 5 yr operating plan and engagement sessions to communicate the structure and plan. He worked with Aon Global Audit team to develop its strategy and plan through an interactive 3 day workshop and followed this with workshops on process improvement for Audit Europe.
- Designed and led leadership and strategy sessions for Barclays Group IT using a Rich Picture approach; facilitated IT security strategy workshop; action learning set facilitator and tutor on Barclays GRB leadership programme
- Worked with the UK Board of Prudential Financial Services to define and articulate its strategy and brand proposition through developing and running strategy and change conferences for its top 80 leaders to successfully build an integrated approach to change
- Developed a Rich Picture of the HSBC Private Banking brand and business strategy to guide a workshop for the Private Bank’s HR Team strategy day