He worked 12+ years working in the social care field as practitioner and manager of services prior to moving into consulting work. He recently has worked as a freelance case manager, working with service users with complex disabilities and mental health/behavioural challenges.
He is interested in how people work together across organisation boundaries in these times of complex change and continuing uncertainty. Deploying ‘action methods’ (action research, action inquiry and action learning) Stephen’s particular areas of expertise include:
· Enabling participatory approaches to strategy development and implementation
· Organisation review, design and development
· Communication and engagement strategies
· Change and leadership
Stephen’s training and experience in groupwork facilitation, in both therapeutic and corporate environments, has been developed to facilitate situations where stakeholder ownership and engagement for major change and transformation are essential for success. He is strong in designing (often creative) processes which support development of a commitment to define and achieve shared strategies and outcomes together.
Stephen is a trustee/volunteer with A Band of Brothers, a charity working with young male offenders where he is highly involved in starting up in Tottenham, London www.abandofbrothers.org.uk; he is also a trustee for Immediate Theatre, a community-based youth theatre charity www.immediate-theatre.com
He is a director of Reve(a)l Productions CIC a social and community theatre company using drama and video-making to give a voice to people in their communities.
He is a director of Lomakatsi – a Mental Health Service Provider Start-up 2015 and 2016: supporting service development of unique ‘Creative rehabilitation’ interventions taking music and art production into settings where people with learning disabilities and/or mental health conditions are living.
He brings a strong ability to build processes that create engagement, commitment and collaboration. He is accomplished at helping organisations to navigate change and turn ‘vision into action’, bringing systems and psychologically informed thinking into systemic, orhganisational, team and personal levels of change.
Current and recent work includes:
- Currently: leading a cross-Council Commissioning Academy programme for MBC Sefton to be delivered first half 2018. Commissioning Academies are delivered through the Public Service Transformation Academy – through RedQuadrant. Supporting 5 Challenge Projects to change the commissioning system.
- Somerset CC and CCG: He is leading a second ‘Somerset Commissioning Academy’ through the Public Service Transformation Academy and RedQuadrant, a programme bringing senior leaders together across the health, local authority (County and District), DWP, Police and VCS system to shape and reform commissioning across the County. 5 system-changing challenge projects were supported in programme 1, and 6 will be supported in programme 2. Last year, he led the first Somerset Academy.
- Facilitating 3 action learning sets as part of Transform Ageing programme covering the SW – Somerset, Devon & Torbay and Cornwall (2018)
- Facilitating a CCG and County strategy group which is developing joint commissioning across health and social care in the County (2018)
- Facilitated and summarised two workshops commissioned by the Police Federation of England and Wales exploring strategies to address demand, capacity and officer welfare issues raised by its annual survey of officers, attended by participants representing Chief Constables, Superintendants and other parts of the Policing community (2018)
- Worked with an international IT Asset Management Company on innovation for growth activities leading to 5 ‘innovation for growth’ projects endorsed by Group Leadership Team and being implemented (2017)
- Glasgow City Council (for MAC-UK) – worked with primary and secondary schools sector on implementation of Inclusion ‘in mainstream’ strategy for children with SEN/complex needs (Primary sector and LCRs 2016, 2017 with secondary sector) using coproduction approach with schools and specialist units
- MAC-UK 2016-17: strategy and engagement consultant supporting development of strategy and propositions for this award-winning charity which works alongside young people experiencing exclusion, mental health issues and impact of gang involvement. Also led half day all-staff development session on ‘systems change’ in 2017. February 2018 – just facilitated a MAC-UK Board strategy awayday
- He has led a ‘Commissioning Academy’ development programme for commissioners of services across Cornwall and just led a similar programme across 8 new ‘combined authorities’ who are being devolved budget for adult education by the Skills Funding Agency
- Worked on the development of the 5-year Health Commissioning Strategy for SE London with 6 CCGs, the 6 Local Authorities and major acute and mental health Trusts in the region – led leadership workshops with senior people from the NHS Trusts (senior clinicians), Chief officers, Commissioning and Finance Directors from CCGs and Local Government in developing the Urgent & Emergency Care and Children/Young people components; supporteddevelopment of overarching strategy and service model development
- For LankellyChase Foundation, facilitated 2 regional action learning sets over 6 months for leaders of ‘system change’ projects funded by the Foundation to tackle ‘severe and multiple disadvantage’
- He worked with local authority, CCG and MH Trust to develop a new service strategy for Children’s mental health/CAMHS
- He helped Tandridge DC in Surrey and a range of stakeholders to re-think the community’s use of a large centre for older people in a town centre
- Delivered 4 x 1 day workshops on navigating change over 4 months for service managers delivering a Better Care programme as part of Bristol City Council’s ‘Applied Service Redesign’ programme
Relevant additional Change, Service and Quality Improvement experience
- Zimmer (Medical devices) – designed and facilitated change and transition workshops for 25 FDs and Controllers across UK and Europe in support of change in Finance Operating Model through outsourcing
- Pfizer Animal Health Zoetis – Design of community building events for Vision, strategy implementation and change pre $2b IPO
- BUPA global Finance Division – lead consultant working with Global Finance directors to review how structure and key processes are working following high growth to £7b business, international acquisitions and reorganisation – developing vision, strategic objectives, decision-rights and roadmap for change
- Lloyds Banking Group – designed the people and organisation workstreams for a £100m Solvency 2 programme
- SIG Combibloc (global manufacturer in food packaging) – Designed new top structure with CEO, developed change communication strategy – to deliver ‘On Time In Full’ strategy
- Medical Research Council (change manager for successful SAP HR implementation across 30 sites, shared services centre and 4000 staff, designing transition to larger shared services model) 2007-2009
- Lloyds TSB – led joint Logica-client team producing Target Operating Model, Business Case and Change programme design for Business Banking transformation (implemented at £120m programme) with high stakeholder commitment achieved
- Aon – worked with Board and management teams of businesses to take forward ‘Client First’ strategy through high engagement with the business 2002-4
- RICS – designed and led Senior Leadership development programme with 6 ‘Change’ projects focusing on stakeholder engagement
- DSS (now DWP) – supported debt recovery service management (24 managers) through major change from 31 sites to 10 national centres; DTI – designed and led conference on promoting more diversity in the Senior Civil Service, led workshop with Perm Sec and DGs to discuss strategy going forward
- Designed, facilitated change, leadership development (Top 100+) and quality improvement programmes in local and central government including
- LB Newham (core design and delivery team, top 180 leadership development programme with 20 strategic change projects); LB Hackney (core design and delivery Top 100 development – core design and delivery, 3years Quality Leaders development programme inc. 120 quality leader-led improvement projects);
- Benefits Agency 1993-1999 (management development, quality leader programmes, change programmes around new benefits and development of Job Centre Plus – facilitated London pilot and integration for Benefits Agency and Employment Service at front line level; Designed quality programme national pilot leading to adoption across a number of regions
- Nuffield Hospitals (Customer Service Improvement projects in 4 hospitals);
- Inland Revenue – designed and coached internal team to deliver 6 ‘Leading Change’ events for 600 managers; pioneered ‘incubator’ multi stakeholder events to accelerated internal process re-design eg Promotion and development processes
- LB Havering (designed service improvement programme across the council and led development of capabilities and leadership to implement
Career History Summary
|Year||Role & Organisation|
|2011- current||Director, Greener Moss Ltd and associate consultant with a number of consultancies including RedQuadrant and MeetingFacilitators|
|2010 – 2011||Ashridge Consulting, Business Director|
|2009 – 2010||Deloitte Senior Manager, Organisation and People Consulting|
|2004 – 2009||Logica – now CGI – Managing consultant|
|2000 – 2004||Hedron Consulting, Consulting Director|
|1994 – 2000||Moss Consulting/Austin Mayhead (later Tribal Consulting)|
|1990 – 1994||Kinsley Lord, Managing Consultant|
|1987 – 1990||PA Consulting Group, Consultant, Government Service Unit|
|1984 – 1987||LB Lambeth – Manager, community mental health resettlement service|
|1982 – 1984||LB Ealing – Officer in Charge, Adolescent unit|
|1977 – 1979||LB Ealing Deputy manager/senior RSW|
|1980 – 1982||Centrepoint Soho – Manager,|
|1974 – 1978||Residential social worker|